What is Asha?
The word "Asha" means "hope" in many Indian languages. Asha for Education is an international non-profit organization with a primary focus on basic education in India. The broader mission is to catalyze socio-economic change in India through the education of underprivileged children. With this aim in mind, we strive forward with the hope that this generation will bring the liberating force of education to the underprivileged children of India.
- To provide access to education for underprivileged children in India
- To promote universal education and decrease child labor
- To support grass roots initiatives in deprived and marginalized communities in India
- To address, whenever possible, other issues affecting human life such as health care, environmental and socio-economic issues, women's issues, human rights issues, etc.
- Raise resources & awareness
- Encourage volunteer learning & leadership
- Provide opportunities to contribute to socio-economic change in India
The Chicago Chapter of Asha for Education began in the year 1996. Over a decade, we have grown as a chapter and in the process expanding our current projects as well as supporting new initiatives. Keeping the above objectives in mind, the Chicago Chapter of Asha for Education currently supports 8 projects. [Read more about the projects we support....]
Asha is a unique organization in that it is 100% volunteer-driven, has no hierarchy and has zero overhead costs. All administrative costs are borne by volunteers enabling 100% of all donations to be sent to our projects in India. All donations made to Asha for Education in the United States are tax-exempt under IRS code Section 501(c)3.
If you are interested in getting involved with Asha Chicago, either by helping with projects or fundraising or simply attending events, please sign up using our online form.
Cricket Tournament 2014
We are proud to announce that Asha For Education (Chicago Chapter) is organizing a cricket tournament on 20 and 21 September 2014. Contact us for more details.
Family Fun 5K/Walk Run
Since attracting 200+ runners in 2009; the 5K this year promises to be an event full of fun. Register for the race at the 5K Website
Run a Marathon to Help Raise Awareness
It's not just enough to be compassionate. You must act; when something needs to be done in the world to rectify the wrongs, if one is really concerned with benefiting others, one needs to be engaged, involved. - Dalai Lama