FAQ - Tsunami Relief and Rehabilitation Efforts
UPDATES ON ACTIVITES IN INDIA
- Are Asha projects affected?
We are still in the process of contacting all of our
projects in the affected states. Please visit our blog
http://ashatsunamirelief.blogspot.com for more
information on specific projects. The blog will be
updated as news comes in.
- Where can I get updates on the relief and
rehabilitation work currently in progress in India?
Please visit our blog site at
http://ashatsunamirelief.blogspot.com. This is
being updated as reports from our volunteers and
project partners in India come in.
- I know some people in southern India and want to
know if they are safe.
Limited information on how to find out about people
in affected areas is available at
- Is Asha working with other groups and NGOs in
the affected areas?
Yes, Asha is currently working with our project
partners, and is willing to work with like-minded
organizations in the US and India. There are
efforts to collaborate with AID, TNSF (Tamil Nadu
Science Forum), ICA (Indians for Collective Action)
DONATIONS FOR RELIEF & REHABILITATION
- How can I donate to the relief and
rehabilitation efforts in India?
Please visit our secure online donation page
for more details:
- How does Asha plan to spend the money?
Asha will first commit monies for immediate relief
(food, shelter). We are working with our Chennai
volunteers, as well as our project partners in
affected states, to ascertain how we can support
mid-term efforts (construction, sanitation) and
long-term rehabilitation efforts (restoring
- I want to donate some clothes/blankets.
Is Asha organizing a clothes drive?
Outside India: Asha is not able to accept
clothes/blankets and is currently not accepting
in-kind donations for Tsunami victims.
Within India: Asha will be able to
coordinate the free transportation of
clothes/blankets from major cities in India to
Chennai, as long as details of both the sending
and receiving NGOs are provided. We will not be
able to accept any other in-kind donations. Please
contact Rajeev Muralidhar at
email@example.com for more details
if you wish to donate clothes/blankets.
- Is all the money being collected by Asha for
Tsunami victims being used for Tsunami relief
All money donated to the Tsunami Relief Fund
through Asha will be earmarked only for
Tsunami-related relief and rehabilitation efforts
in India, either at affected Asha projects or in
local communities where a specific need is identified
by Asha volunteers, our project partners and/or
other relief organizations working in affected areas.
- Can donations be made directly to Asha Chennai?
In order to track monies being donated to the
Tsunami Relief Fund, please use these guidelines
in making any donations to Asha in India:
- My company will match my donation. What process
should I follow?
Please fill out the matching donation forms and
mail these to the following address:
Asha for Education
Ref: Matching Donation for Tsunami Relief Fund
P.O. Box 322
New York, NY 10040-0322
HOW ELSE CAN I HELP?
- How can I help with the relief efforts besides donating?
Depending on your location, these are the main ways
in which you can help:
- Help Asha contact its project partners in affected areas.
- Spread the word about the relief and rehabilitation
efforts to friends and family: the sheer scale of
this disaster means that rehabilitation efforts in
particular will need long-term support.
- Help to collate the information needed as relief
and rehabilitation proposals come in.
- Please contact Sanjeev Ranganathan at
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on
how you can help.
- Help directly with relief and rehabilitation efforts.
- Keep in touch with Asha volunteers and our
project partners in India.
- Please contact Asha Chennai www.ashanet.org/chennai
for more information on how you can help.
- I am in India right now and would like to help.
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact Asha Chennai volunteers www.ashanet.org/chennai
for more information on how you can help.
QUESTIONS ABOUT ASHA.
- Is Asha a registered 501(c)3 non-profit group?
Yes, Asha for Education is a registered 501(c)3
organization in the United States.
- Where can I find out more about Asha for Education?
Information about Asha and our activities can be
found on our website at
- I would like to talk to an Asha representative.
For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Back to Tsunami Relief