Mithram Rehabilitation Complex,
Mr. P. B. George,
Prof. Mani. T. K
Established in Sept 1993, MITHRAM has been registered as a charitable Society of the parents of the mentally handicapped with the following objectives:
- To work for the utmost development of mentally handicapped persons without any distinction of cast, creed and religion.
- To bring the awareness in the parents of the mentally handicapped (MH) and the society at large, the problems faced by MH persons.
- To represent before the government regarding various socio-economic matters related to the MH persons and their families for finding necessary solution.
- To safeguard human rights and social security for the MH
The goal of the project is to make the special children feel part of the
society, and to enable them to contribute to society.
The training given to the special children can be classified into three:
During past six years, MITHRAM has achieved the following towards their main goal.
- Training for independency: ie these includes toilet training, bathing,
- Development of knowledge base: Identification of objects, reading writing
skills development, counting numbers etc.
- Rehabilitation: Grown up will be given work training suitable to their
capabilities such as paper bag making, brick making, operating machineries, wood
work, gardening etc.
- Mithram Rehabilitation complex set up in Mulanthuruthy.
- Mithram special school for exceptional children started.
- A work centre named "RAINBOW" started in the complex.
- Horticulture (gardening of fruits and vegetables) started.
- Arranged several seminars for the parents and special teachers.
- Organised and hosted a national seminar for the parental organisation of the mentally handicapped in collaboration with NIMH - National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped.
Functioning of Mithram
Details about the different activities
How the expenses are being handled
Type of Education
Mithram started with this room, now converted into the school. The people are MR children and family members.
MR children and the unfinished work center (Rainbow), now the work center is completed.
Rainbow (Work Center)
Children in a Dance
The yahoo groups http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mithram is provided for discussion related to this project. You can become a member of this list by sending a blank message to email@example.com. To know more about this project, or to get involved with this project, send a mail to the asha contacts.