Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:02:44 +0530 (IST)
From: Asha <asha@lw1.vsnl.net.in>
To: asha_wide@ashanet.org, india_members@ashanet.org
Subject: minutes of asha annual meeting 1999

Hi all: included below are the minutes of the recently concluded Asha's
annual meeting in Lucknow. 'Q' stands for questions asked, 'A' stands for
answers given, and 'S' for suggestion from participants.

MINUTES OF ASHA ANNUAL MEETING IN LUCKNOW FROM DECEMBER 23-26, 1999:

In the morning session, Sandeep explained to various groups how to
maintain accounts, how to apply for FCRA clearance, FCRA prior permission
, etc.

Introduction by Sandeep:
------------------------
Asha started in 1991 in UC Berkeley with the objective of contributing to
education of poor children in India. It was also registered in India after
that. Initially we were not so active. But over last few years we have
been active in our experiments in primary education, mainly in UP. There
has been some debate regarding the philosophy of Asha. It seemed that
supporting formal education (eg. Government run education programmes) will
only add to the problems of our society.

Asha is different from many other funding agencies in the sense that it
works in a very informal and loose network. Right from the beginning it
was decided that Asha would have no overhead expenses and all the money
collected would go to the projects in India. It is in true sense a
voluntary work and has not been institutionalized much. Full time
volunteers of Asha in India are trying to become economically self-reliant
themselves. They involve in productive activities and try not to take
financial support from Asha.

The overall effort is towards creating a movement for alternative
education in India.

The purpose of this meeting is to increase the interaction with various
organizations/projects who are being supported by Asha-US chapters and
also other projects who are doing good work in education, share and learn
from every organization's experience, and explore possibilities of working
collaboratively in future.

Self-introduction by every participant:
---------------------------------------
Ram Pravesh Shastri, Editor, 'Ashram Jeevan', Shri Gandhi Ashram,
Badshahnagar Road, Lucknow; Ph: (0522) 355359 (R), 222938 (O)
Anil Sharma, Asha-Delhi volunteer, 98, Samachar Apt, Mayur Vihar - 1,
Delhi - 110091; Ph: (011) 2713460
Kanta Marathe, Navrachna Samaj Sevi Sanstha, Gram Mohalla, P.O. Dhangawa,
Dist. Jabalpur - 483225, M.P.; Ph: (07624) 68213
Asha Pandey, Rishi Pragatisheel Shikshad Sansthan, Little Stars School,
B-1/111, Arusi, Varanasi - 221005, U.P.; Ph: (0542) 314226
Suresh Mhaske, Phulenagar Project, M.J. Phulenagar, Near IIT Market,
Powai, Mumbai - 400076; (022) 5796328
Dr. Devendra Kumar, ED, 458, LDA Colony, Kanpur Road, Lucknow; Ph: (0522)
432972
Sandeep, Asha-Lucknow, A-893, Indira Nagar, Lucknow - 226016; Ph: (0522)
347365, Email: asha@lw1.vsnl.net.in
Rupesh, Abhiyan, Ramkrishna Colony, Mahendru, Patna; Ph: (0612) 682874
Chandra Bhushan, Abhiyan, Ramkrishna Colony, mahendru, Patna; Ph: (0612)
682874
Putul Bahen, c/o Rajiv Classes, 83, Halwasia Market, Hazratganj, Lucknow;
Ph: (0522) 218042
Vallabhacharya Pandey, Pragatisheel Madhumakhi Palan Kendra, Village/Post
Kaithi, Varanasi - 221104; Ph: (0542) 618201, 618301
L. Devarajan, Jeevan Gnanodhaya School for the Deaf, C-46, 5th Cross
Street, Annanagar, Chengalpattu - 603001, Tamil Nadu; Ph: (04114) 28708
Sanjay K. Rai, Asha-Lucknow volunteer, A-8, Sarvoday Nagar, Indira Nagar,
Lucknow - 226016; Ph: (0522) 387509
Madan Sharma, Urmul Marusthali Bunkar Vikas Samiti, Falaudi, Dist.
Jodhpur, Rajasthan; Ph: (02925) 2227
Girja Shankar Pandey, Village/Post - Malkera, Dist. Dhanbad - 828304,
Bihar; Ph: (0326) 713394
Nandlal Prasad, Nav Jyoti Swavlamban Sewa Sansthan, Village Nagepur, Post
- Benipur, Varanasi - 221307; Ph: (0542) 632433
B. C. Sharma, Gandhian Institute of Rural Development (GIRD), Manipur,
H.O. Thoubal Achouba, M.I. Road, Hotel Kongbra, Thoubal - 795138; Ph:
(03848) 22641
Rakesh Narayan, Prerna Niketan, K. Toli, Matwari, Hazaribag - 825301,
Bihar; Ph: (06546) 25736
Brajeshwar Prasad Mishra, Singhbhum Legal Aid and Development Society
(SLADS), Laldih, Ghutsila, Dist. Singhbhum (E); Ph: (06585) 25743
Harish Bhatt, Kokila Vikas Ashram, Post - Sonapur - 784168, Assam; Ph:
(0361) 522344, (03715) 43187
Ajit Singh, Guria, S-8/395, Khejuri Colony, Varanasi - 2, U.P.; Ph: (0542)
342253
Chandrashekhar Singh Gaur, Manviya Prabandhan Sansthan, G. T. Road,
Naramau, Mandhana, Kanpur - 209217; Ph: (0512) 770408, 770026
Shobha Bahen, Parvatiya Paryavaran Sanrakshan Samiti, Himdarshan Kutir,
Post - Gharmaghar, Dist. Pithoragarh -
Deepak Gupta, Asha-Kanpur, 3062, IIT, Kanpur - 208016; Ph: (0512) 5228520,
Email: saboo@iitk.ac.in
Sudhir Pandey, C/141/291, Humayunpur (south), Gorakhpur - 273001; Ph:
335498
T. N. Agrawal, Manviya Prabandhan Sansthan, H.O. 4/276, Parwah Bagla Road,
Kanpur - 208016; Ph: (0512) 544853
Vishambhar Vidyarthi, Upkaram Karoti, 14/3, Tiwarinagar, Motinagar,
Lucknow; Ph: (0522) 691069
Divya Pandey, Upkaram Karoti, 14/3, Tiwarinagar, Motinagar, Lucknow; Ph:
(0522) 461295 (R)
Simantini Dhuru, Avehi-Abacus Project, 3rd Floor, K.K. Marg Municipal
School, Behind Shireen Talkies, Saat-Rasta, Mahalaxmi, Mumbai - 400011;
Ph: (022) 3075231 (O), 3850827 (R), Email: avcab@bom5.vsnl.net.in
Lalit Uniyal, Boomiheen Sewa Samiti, 6A, Panna Lal Road, Allahabad -
211002; Ph: (0532) 601548, 605757, Email: ulalit@nde.vsnl.net.in
Surabhi Dubey, B-2, Literacy House, Lucknow - 226023, Ph: (0522) 470192
Malay Kumar Dalal, Ankuran, Chatra, Bihar; Ph: (06541) 22361
Chandra Bhushan Tiwari, Vivekanand Gramin Vikas Shodh Sansthan, Salehnagar
Banglabazar, Lucknow; Ph: (0522) 432972
C B Naik, Vasundhara, A/6, Shakun, Shahaji Raje Marg, Vile Parle (E),
Mumbai - 400057, Ph: (022) 8205207, (02362) 22375
Rahul Pandey, Asha-Lucknow volunteer, C-61, IIT, Powai, Mumbai - 400076;
Ph: (022) 5771020, Email: rahul@cc.iitb.ernet.in
Shanmuga Subramanyam, Asha-Chennai volunteer, 70, Z Block, Anna Nagar,
Chennai - 600040; Ph: (044) 6264837, Email: shanmuga@md4.vsnl.net.in
Ram Iqbal Singh, Gramin Vikas Vigyan Samiti (GVVS), Jodhpur; Ph: 741317
Mahesh, Asha-Lucknow and Asha-Ballia volunteer, A-893, Indira Nagar,
Lucknow; Ph: (0522) 347365
Bramhanand Mishra, Shiksha Niketan, Village/Post - SonkiMot, Ballia, U.P.;
Ph: (05496) 32067
Biju Borboruah, Tamulpur Anehalik Gramdan Sangha, Kumari Kata, Dist.
Nalbari, Assam; Ph: (0361) 522344
Sheetal Sharma, Asha-Lucknow volunteer, Lucknow; Ph: (0522) 410582

Presentations by Project Representatives:
Malay Kumar Dalal:
Ankuran works in health, education, women's development in villages in
district Chatra, Bihar. Give training (incense stick making, sewing,
greeting cards, mushrooms, sericulture, etc) to women. Most women are
uneducated. We also provide them education and awareness.  We run 6
non-formal education centers with children, supported by Asha. This was
started from August 1999. Children are between 6-14 years, mostly
harijans. We will educate the kids till 5th std and then help them in
getting admission to regular schools.  We are thinking of modifying our
curriculum so that the kids' education becomes value focussed and there is
a greater impact on the children.

We give residential training to girls (of 17-25 years) for 6-months. We
provide raw material and charge no fee. Afterwards we help them with loans
for initial investment required for starting their own activities. This
programme has been partially successful.

Q: Is the education only non-formal?