Nagapattinam district, The Land of religious harmony, known for its rich religious heritage was carved out by bifurcating the composite Thanjavur district on 18.10.1991. This District lies on the shores of the Bay of Bengal between Northern Latitude 10.7906 degrees and 79.8428 Degrees Eastern Longitude an area of 2715.83 Square kilometers in its fold. The District capital, 'Nagapattinam' lies on the eastern coast , 350 kilometers down south from the State capital 'Chennai' and 145 kilometers east, from Tiruchirappalli, a central place of the state.
Tsunami struck the coastal areas of Nagapattinam on 26.12.2004 at 09.12am.
In Nagapattinam, Akkaraipettai is the worst affected area and then Kallaar and Keechankuppam and other areas.
First tidal wave was not expected by the people and they didn’t realize that tsunami struck the areas.
Before they stabilize, in another 45 minutes gap, the second wave struck again and damaged the human lives, boats, houses and belongings.
Purpose / Goals
Support youth in education and provide career guidance
Develop a social conscience in youth
Ameliorate the suffering of individuals in distress Work with poor communities and improve their lives
Network with institutions and individuals and leverage them for project support
Suyam is a social voluntary organization serving the poor, needy and deserved people in the society for the past 18 years though the organization formally registered in the year 1999. Our main focus is on Education and then Medical Assistance and Awareness related activities.
* Develop the project Siragu Montessori School
* Focus on begging children situated in other parts of Tamilnadu and open schools and provide
quality education to the poorest of the poor.
* Create volunteer network by regular campaign and various method, so that all NGO get
regular volunteers without any scarcity.
* Conduct more youth awareness program and channelise them to their goals and support them
counseling, career guidance and various other support.
* Involve the student community in the social service and at one stage student shall run the
organization with the practical experience the gain during the service.
* Conduct more personality development free camps for students of Corporation Schools,
Government Schools, and Children Homes across Tamilnadu.
* Take up Government projects and render quality service to the deprived people and poorest of
Project Type: Alternative Education
Primary Focus: children of dalits/tribals
Secondary Focus: dropouts
Other Focus: children who are working