The Government of India has approved a scheme called Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) for setting up upto 1180 residential schools with boarding facilities at elementary level for girls belonging predominantly to the SC, ST, OBC and minorities in difficult areas. The scheme will be coordinated with the existing schemes of Department of Elementary Education & Literacy viz. Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA), National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level (NPEGEL) and Mahila Samakhya (MS). Asha for Education will work with Mahila Samakhya Uttar Pradesh to come up with innovative solutions for execution of this scheme
KGBV is one year compressed course for dropout girls after class V. Hundred girls in a residential school will complete class VI, VII, VIII in a year.
Purpose / Goals
1. Work with govt.
2. Make sure govt money is spent in right way
3. Particiapte in each school and support with asha money to make sure we get best schools
4. This gives us oppurtunity to enter remote areas in UP and work with girls education who dropped out.
5. We dont have to worry about running expenditure
6. Gives scope to work with stable system which has long term impact on ground.
7. If we spend the money in the begning we make sure money of asha and govt is spent in most efficient way
Mahila Samakhya Uttar Pradesh is a unique initiative. A government programme, it has the passion and commitment of a voluntary agency, energy of a movement and the synergies of asystemic organisation. Its goals are broader and longer term in nature than a ‘scheme’, as it seeks to bring about change in the situation of women, in terms of equality and empowerment. MS works towards enabling women to bring about a change in their own situation, while also helping society become equity-oriented. Thus, MS works on society in general, but also through social and political institutions, government departments and agencies, and through a larger advocacy in society
In UP, the main planks of MS action are:
Rights and governance
http://www.mahilasamakhyaup.org/ - msup1 ( at ) rediffmail dot com
Project Type: Working with the Government
Primary Focus: girls
Secondary Focus: dropouts
Other Focus: to go to formal school